The Krut user interface with quick buttons to start recording, take a screenshot, and change the recording area.
Krut is a screencast tool that is written in Java and well suited for making video tutorials (instructional videos) on most platforms. Krut records movie files, including sound, of selected parts of your screen. The files use the quicktime mov format.
The program has an intuitive and compact user interface.
In addition to a movie file, the program also records separate files for audio (wav) and video (mov), which easily allows encoding to any movie format using an external encoding program.
Some additional features:
- Timer-controlled recording
- Moveable recording areas during recording
- Preview of ongoing recording
- Optional mouse pointer recording
- Record/Playback at 2 different frame rates
- Highly accurate audio-video synchronization
For more information, see the Forum or the documentation that is downloaded with the program. A summary of the most important information is available in the FAQ section.